Saturday, March 31, 2007

What would I do without NPR?

It's how I wake up every morning, listening to the WBHM morning show. I even keep listening during all of the pledge week rambling. On Saturday mornings, I listen to "Car Talk" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" almost religiously, and on Sunday mornings I try to figure out the riddles by Will Shortz before whoever is playing the Quiz game. It's how I keep in touch with what's happening in the world, because I don't have time to peruse newspapers every day, and because I don't really have patience for the local news. It's not that I don't like knowing what's happening here, but there's just so much fluff.

But more than that, it always gets me thinking. Especially the "StoryCorps" and "This I Believe" segments. And it almost invariably leads me to new music and musicians. This morning they featured Susan Werner, and I'm going to see if her music is available on i-tunes. I love the way she sings about church and about faith, without being trite.

There was also a cool new novel presented, with an excerpt read by the author: Foaling Season by Aryn Kyle. It's the little things like having an author read her work that make the difference.

And they also featured a Swedish band, "Peter Bjorn and John", who recently sang at SXSW in Austin. Of course, they did say that it's easier for a Swedish band to be accepted in the U.S. than "a German band, which is almost too foreign", because Sweden is so influenced by what we do. I don't know if I agree with that, entirely. Although there are certainly more Swedish bands famous here than German bands. We'd be hard-pressed to make the argument that Germans are NOT influenced by U.S. culture, and there are a number who only sing in English. What I love, though, is that there is now a movement in German music to actually sing in German. Here are some German bands and German music you might enjoy:

Silbermond - go to the audio section and listen to clips from their new album

Fettes Brot - a little harder than what I usually like, but great texts.

Roger Cicero - fabulous crooner, if that's what you go for. And funny texts. Here's a video!! And here's Germany's 2007 Eurovision entry. I don't think it will win, but the song's ok. The comments prove the general ignorance of a deplorably large number of people.

Juli - best website of all of them. And great music! Happy to help translate the lyrics, just let me know...

Wir sind Helden - probably the best known or one of the best known in this group. But I couldn't get the music to play on their website. Someone else might have more luck, or know where to find it?

Nina Hagen - not new music, really, but I love her stuff. Here's my favorite video. It always makes me think of Berlin ... and the movie "Sonnenallee".

Xavier Naidoo - he's pretty. Check out the vidoes.

Ararat - very cool site; they actually provide the lyrics and the whole song. German Christian music.

Wolf Biermann - read this article about his take on the recent Stasi movie, "The Lives of Others"

There are surely more excellent German bands out there. If you know of someone I should check out, I'd love to hear about them.

2 comments:

Triviales Wissen said...

While I -- sad to say -- am very British-Irish-American-centric in my musical tastes, I do have a couple of favorite German bands:

Tocotronic: part of the "Hamburger Schule," Karen's seen them live, if I'm not mistaken. I suspect they're on iTunes, but I know for a fact that they're on emusic.com. They're actually one of my favorite bands, regardless of language. Very much in the indie-rock vein nowadays, but their earlier stuff was very Nirvana-influenced. Sing almost exclusively in German, although they did release one album of their German songs in Babelfish-translated English. I'd avoid it! (I think it's called "The Hamburg Years.")

Blumfeld: another Hamburg band. They're currently on their farewell tour, but they've got a number of good albums. I suspect you'd like them more than Tocotronic, since the former have also done stuff in collaboration with Fettes Brot.

The Notwist: Moody, gorgeous electronic pop, sung in English. The funny thing about them, though, is that they used to be a thrash metal/punk band. And to hear Karen tell it, not a particularly good one, as she saw them live years ago, and according to her, they SUCKED.

(I can hook you up with some of this, btw, if you're really nice to me.)

Angela said...

Thanks for the tips!!! Aren't I always nice =)? Ok, maybe not ... but first I'm off to see what I can find on the internet.