Friday, July 13, 2007

No excuse...

So, I just read Texas In Africa's blog and have been convicted with the fact that I have no excuse at all for not posting to my blog or answering emails. I have free high-speed internet access in my room all the time, and "I'm tired" or "I don't feel like writing" or "I don't really have all that much to say right now" just don't stack up to what she's had to deal with. And she's still managed to post every day in spite of it all!!

This is what's going on my life right now:
* We just finished the first week of the History and Culture of Berlin course. I think it's going well, but the students don't really enjoy being out here in Elstal instead of right in the city. There's one train per hour in each direction, so it requires a little planning and coordination; but the trip itself is only 30 minutes, and it's very pleasant. We're staying in a guesthouse on the campus of the Baptist seminary. The rooms are great, the beds are comfortable, free internet, and a fantastic breakfast every morning. Not bad at all, really.

* My Dad was here the first few days (Sunday night - Wednesday morning), and he's now in Frankfurt. He flies back home tomorrow. It was a lot of fun showing him around the city a bit, and coordinating time with the students I'm teaching, time with him, and time with the three students who are taking language classes (on the other side of Berlin). The coolest thing so far has been the "Story of Berlin" museum and going up the TV tower at Alexanderplatz to see the whole city.

Here are a few pictures:

Potsdamerplatz -- at one point the "busiest intersection in the world", then an empty no-man's land in the middle of a divided city, and now a hip spot to go hang out and see movies (like the new Harry Potter, which we saw in the Sony Center yesterday)



One of my favorite spots to grab a nice cup of coffee (and usually two donuts ... I'm a huge fan of the Boston Creme variety; if they don't have that, I eschew the entire experience)

Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church, which stands as a reminder of the destruction of war, and the need for peace.

TV tower at Alexanderplatz, heart of former East Berlin.

Dad in Cafe Josty at Potsdamerplatz. The cafe first opened there in 1793, and was reopened 3 or 4 years ago. I had a nice pot of tea!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Berlin! I'm feeling nostalgic, especially seeing Alex. What a great trip that was! I'm sure you are doing a great job teaching your students about Berlin since you did so well with your four charges then. Glad you're back in the blogosphere. I've missed reading about your adventures.

Angela said...

Thanks librarian!! It's great to see you in the blogosphere as well :). Taking my four charges around was SO much fun. I'm glad you guys came over. Some of my best memories of Berlin ...

texasinafrica said...

I think you have plenty of excuses for not posting! No worries!

I'm nostalgic for Berling, too. Sigh. :)

Anonymous said...

Great picture of your Dad.