Saturday, May 05, 2007

for the record...

My top 10 picks for today's big race:

1. Curlin
2. Circular Quay
3. Storm in May
4. Nobiz like Shobiz
5. Scat Daddy
6. Street Sense
7. Any Given Saturday
8. Hard Spun
9. Cowtown Cat
10. Imawildandcrazyguy

"I am fulfilled and weary. This Kentucky Derby, whatever it is--a race, an emotion, a turbulence, an explosion--is one of the most beautiful and violent and satisfying things I have ever experienced. And I suspect that, as with other wonders, the people one by one have taken from it exactly as much good or evil as they brought to it." - John Steinbeck, from the "Ode to the Kentucky Derby", original posted in Louisville's own Courier-Journal on May 5, 1956.



-----

Addendum ... once again, I didn't get a single horse right. Are there points for missing each and every one? As I said to Arizona a few minutes ago, when he called to let me know he had put money on Street Sense -- many congratulations! -- I should never bet money on anything. Really. Never. But it doesn't mean I won't try again next year.





Hope y'all had a great Derby. I'm going outside to the Homewood festival now, to drown my sorrows in two-steppin' fun. Gotta love it when they bring the live bands to you :).

----
Addendum: Mom says that the rose in the picture is a Peace rose. Appropriate, somehow. It's from the Rose Garden next to the Bishop's New Residence in Bamberg.

No comments: