Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Basketball is king of this town...


And Bambergers are proud to refer to this as "Freak-City", because they are a city of Basketball freaks, the proud fans of the hometown team, the "Brose Baskets". Sorry, I have no idea what "Brose" means ... maybe they are their sponsor.

Well, the Brose Baskets are in the Bundesliga of German Basketball, which means they are in the highest league. And tonight they won the National Championship against the "Artland Dragons". Again, I think "Artland" must be a sponsor. No clue where they are from and I don't even care ... because Bamberg won, which means they are the German Champions:

Deutsche Meister 2007

For those of you unfamiliar with sports in Europe, this means cars are still driving through the streets honking, and people are hanging out of windows yelling. The game was away, so we all gathered at "Max Platz" and watched the game on a big screen. There was a huge party after, but I just stayed for a little while. It poured down rain while we were standing there, and it's in the 50s today, but nobody cared. They just put up their hoods or opened umbrellas and continued to stand and watch the game. THAT'S dedication.






And this is the beautiful sunset over the Regnitz I got to see on my way back home tonight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If they're selling '2007 Brose Baskets National Champions' t-shirts around town, can you pick one up for me?

Angela said...

I'll see what I can do...