Friday, June 29, 2007

Really? Please tell me you're kidding...

As some of you already know, this has been a summer FULL of adventure already ... and it's only half over!! Yesterday's incident involved a damaged Mercedes and a trip to the police station. Lots and lots of German cultural experiences, I can tell you!!

I do realize that my desire to pack the students in bubble wrap and handcuff them to chairs where they can do neither themselves nor any one else damage is a bit irrational.

So, seeking a little comfort and a cosmic "This too shall pass" and "It will all be fine..." I came across the following: Psalm 16:8-11.

Here it is in the NIV:
8 I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
11 You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

And in The Message (just for fun, and because it's groovy):
7-8 The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake
is confirmed by my sleeping heart.
Day and night I'll stick with God;
I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.
9-10 I'm happy from the inside out,
and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed.
You canceled my ticket to hell—
that's not my destination!
11 Now you've got my feet on the life path,
all radiant from the shining of your face.
Ever since you took my hand,
I'm on the right way.

(Yes, I'm a fan of BibleGateway.com.)

So my prayer is for grace and peace, for myself and all of these students, and, if possible, freedom from injury and no further need for interactions with the police, police stations, paramedics or emergency rooms. Please.

And finally, a blessing from early Irish literature:

A Brigit bennach ar sét
nachar·tair bét ar ar cúairt;
a chaillech a l-Lifi lán
co·rísem slán ar tech úait.

O Brigit, bless our road, that calamity may not overtake us as we travel; O veiled one from the laden Liffey, may we reach home safely by your intercession.

5 comments:

Bob Ferguson said...

Tell me what happened! It is not enough to sing praises to God and offer prayers .. after the fact. A father's main responsibility is to know what happened and why people had to go to the emergency room!

texasinafrica said...

Yikes! Hope it's all getting straightened out.

Triviales Wissen said...

Ditto what Texas said! Hope things are calming down.

Anonymous said...

Hope that all is now fine...more experiences than I would like to have...I just like going to the beach, hear the surf, watch the cockatoos fight each other for the seeds of the Norfolk Island pines and enjoy the fresh sea breeze!

texasinafrica said...

Where are you?!? Come back!