Tuesday, June 19, 2007

En el cielo...

One of the German teachers at the school the students are attending here in Bamberg also teaches Spanish. I learned yesterday, that in addition to being certified in German, each teacher at the school is also required to know at least one other foreign language --- so they can identify with the poor language students struggling with German. And most of them have spent extensive amounts of time in other countries, and are fluent in at least one or two languages other than German.

That is the case with one particular teacher, Kuni, who also teaches Spanish. And because Kuni was kind enough to make copies of several German music CDs for me, I thought the least I could do would be to help him find songs by singers who switch -- in the song -- between Spanish and English.

Thanks to my wonderful and knowledgeable friends, this quest has not taken long. I've put together a fun mix for Kuni. But I wanted to share the "coup de grace" with all of you:

En el cielo no hay cerveza by Flaco Jimenez.

Why does it win the prize? Because it is in Spanish, English, and German (or maybe Dutch? Listen and you'll see why I'm wondering...).

A fun way to spend the evening. Here is the list of songs, for those of you who are interested:


En el Cielo No Hay Cerveza (In Heaven There Is No Beer) -Flaco Jimenez
Corona Con Lima -Gary P. Nunn
Carito -Carlos Vives
El Tejano -Cowboy Troy
Senorita Mas Fina -Kevin Fowler
(Hey Baby) Qué Paso -Texas Tornados
Cumbia Raza -Los Lobos
Corazon Espinado -Santana & Mana
He Is a Tejano -Texas Tornados
Panama Tones / Nuevo Boogaloo -The Iguanas
Lupita -The Iguanas
Órale -Los Lonely Boys
Siempre Abuelita (Always Grandma) -Tish Hinojosa
You Are My Sunshine -Santiago Jimenez, Jr.
Belle -Jack Johnson
Ballad of the Sun and the Moon -Alejandro Escovedo
Dos Hermanos / Two Brothers -Alejandro Escovedo
Manos Huesos y Sangre/Hands Bones and Blood (Song for Frida Kahlo) [Live]
- Tish Hinojosa

4 comments:

texasinafrica said...

How could I not have thought of Flaco?!? That was the favorite song of the guys who "borrowed" all those Baylor paintings back in the day (you've heard Boyd's story, right?)

Actually, I couldn't think of anything. Sorry about my non-participation!

Angela said...

I do remember the Boyd story, but didn't know about the song. TOO funny!! It is my new favorite song. It is actually based on a Bavarian folk song, but Flaco only sings the chorus. The song has about 10 verses, so I don't blame him :). Simplicity is usually the best choice.

You are quite busy enough with other things ... especially today!!!

Wes said...

In heaven there is no beer???

Ay de mi!!

texasinafrica said...

Oh, yes, that's when you knew the party was rockin'!

And Wes, of course not. That's the only way the Baptists will show up. :)